NASSAU GROUPER INITIATIVE
Nassau grouper (Epinephelus striatus) photo: Diver.net
Regulations and Guidelines for Nassau Grouper Fishing in the U.S. Caribbean EEZ, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
For details, readers should contact the Council, or refer to the comprehensive amendment or the final rule. Any discrepancies between these documents, bulletin and the final rule as published in the Federal Register will be resolved in favor of the Federal Register.
Guidelines for Nassau Grouper Fishing
- Closed Season -All year in federal waters, Puerto Rico and USVI jurisdictional waters.
- Permits - No permits will be issued to harvest this species.
- Size Limit - Fishing for this species is totally prohibited. Such fish caught must be released immediately with a minimum of harm.
- Gear Restrictions - Fishing in any form is prohibited.
- Amendment 2 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Queen Conch Fishery of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Amendment 5 to the Reef Fish Fishery Management Plan of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (Including Final Environmental Impact Statement, Regulatory Impact Review, and Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis) September 22, 2011
- SFA- Comprehensive Amendment to the Fishery Management Plans of the U.S. Caribbean
- FINAL RULE - Federal Register/Vol. 70, No. 208/ Friday, October 28, 2005/ Rules and Regulations
- Reef Fish Amendment 1- Page 4, Action 2, Management Measure 10.2.7
Papers on Nassau grouper
- An assessment of the Nassau grouper (Epinephelus striatus) fisheries in the Bahamas - N. M. Ehrhardt y V. K. W. Deleveaux, abstract
- Is the Nassau grouper coming back? - (Page 4), Research and Public Service Newsletter, University of the Virgin Islands
- Observations of a Nassau grouper, Epinephelus striatus, spawning aggregation site in Little Cayman, Cayman Islands, including multi-species spawning information. Leslie Whaylena , Christy V. Pattengill-Semmensa , Brice X. Semmensb, Phillippe G. Bushc & Mark R. Boardmand. Environmental Biology of Fishes 70: 305–313, 2004.
- Life History Characteristics & Management Recommendations For The Nassau Grouper Population In Belize - by Guillermo E. Paz & Thom Grimshaw, 2001.
- Status Report on Nassau Groupers for Belize, Central America - Guillermo Enrique Paz and Thom Grimshaw
US Government - NOAA
- http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/fish/nassaugrouper.htm - SPECIES OF CONCERN, US DOC, NOAA, National Marine Fisheries Service
- http://www.breef.org/ - Bahamas Reef Environment Education Foundation
- http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/NassauGrouper/tabid/307/Default.aspx - South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, Managed Species, Federal Regulations
- http://www.eleutheranews.com/national/206.html - Closure of the Nassau grouper season - Dec 1, 2008 to Feb 28, 2009. Government of the Bahamas
- http://www.sms.si.edu/irlSpec/Epinep_striat.htm - by: J. Dineen, Smithsonian Marine Station
- http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=18 - FISHBASE ID
- IUCN - List of threatened species