2017 LATEST NEWS
Federal Register & NEWS
- Temporary rule closes the recreational fishing for wrasses and parrotfishes in the EEZ in Puerto Rico. Recreational fishing for wrasses closed on 4/19/17, and opens January 1, 2018. Parrotfishes closure for recreational fishing starts on May 19, 2017, and opens January 1, 2018. The AM-based closure for recreational parrotfishes applies at November 4, 2017, and opens January 1, 2018. Please refer to the attached Federal Register Notice for details.
- Notice of availability; request for comments. Amendments to the Reef Fish, Spiny Lobster, and Corals and Reef Associated Plants and Invertebrates Fishery Management Plans of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- FEDERAL REGISTER NOAA-NMFS-2016-0013-0001 - Amendments to the Reef Fish, Spiny Lobster, and Corals and Reef Associated Plants and Invertebrates Fishery Management Plans of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- FB17-22 Eng - Reduced Fishing Season Lengths for the Recreational Harvest of Wrasses in Federal Waters around Puerto Rico for the 2017 Fishing Year
Recreational harvest of wrasses, including hogfish, puddingwife, and Spanish hogfish, in federal waters of Puerto Rico, will close on April 19, 2017. Recreational harvest will reopen at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2018.
- FB17-22 Sp -Reducción en la duración de la temporada de pesca recreativa de los peces lábridos en aguas federales alrededor de Puerto Rico para el año 2017
La pesca recreativa de peces lábridos, incluyendo capitán, capitán de piedras y loro capitán, se cerrará a las 12:01 am, hora local, el 19 de abril de 2017. La pesca recreativa de estas especies se reabrirá a las 12:01 a.m. (hora local) del 1 de enero de 2018.
- FB17-18 - Seasonal Prohibition on Fishing for or Possession of Mutton and
Lane Snapper in U.S. Caribbean Federal Waters
- FB17-18 SP - Temporada de veda para la pesca y posesión de la sama y el arrayao en aguas federales del Caribe Estadounidense
- FB17-11 -Seasonal Closure of Mutton Snapper Spawning Aggregation Area in U.S. Caribbean Federal Waters off St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
- FB17-11-SP -Cierre de temporada anual en el Área de Desove de la Sama en aguas federales del Caribe Estadounidense en Santa Cruz, Islas Vírgenes Estadounidenses
- FB17-10 - NOAA Fisheries Seeks Public Comment on the Proposed Rule to Modify the Timing of Accountability Measure-Based Closures in U.S. Caribbean Federal Waters
- FB17-10 Sp - NOAA Fisheries solicita comentarios sobre la reglamentación propuesta para modificar las temporadas en que se implementan las vedas a la pesca por medidas de responsabilidad en aguas federales del Caribe Estadounidense
- FB17-003 - Seasonal Prohibition on Fishing for and Possession of Red, Black, Tiger, Yellowfin, and Yellowedge Grouper in U.S. Caribbean Federal Waters and Seasonal Closure of Grammanik Bank off St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- FB17-003 Sp - Temporada de veda para la pesca y posesión del mero rojo, mero negro, tigre, guajil y guajil amarillo en aguas federales del Caribe Estadounidense y Cierre de temporada en el área del Banco Grammanik en San Tomás, Islas Vírgenes Estadounidenses
- FB17-002 - NOAA Fisheries Seeks Public Comments on an Amendment to Modify the Timing of Accountability Measure-Based Closures in U.S. Caribbean Federal Waters
- FB17-002 Sp - NOAA Fisheries solicita comentarios sobre una enmienda para modificar las temporadas en que se implementan las vedas a la pesca por medidas de responsabilidad en aguas federales del Caribe Estadounidense
For older communications visit NEWS
To open some documents of this site you will need Adobe Reader, Download Free Adobe Reader XI software.
2017 CFMC MEETING CALENDAR
Any changes to the CFMC Meetings 2017 schedule, will be posted as soon as available.
2017 CFMC regular meetings schedule as presented at the 158th CFMC Meeting:
- April 18 -19, 2017 - St Croix, USVI
- August 15 -16, 2017 - Puerto Rico
- December 12 -13, 2017 - St Thomas, USVI
Other CFMC Meetings:
- SSC Meeting- SSC will meet on April 3-7, 2017, at the CFMC Headquarters, 270 Muñoz Rivera Avenue, Suite 401, San Juan, PR
- DAPs Meeting - District Advisory Panels will meet on March 7-8, 2017, at the Verdanza Hotel, Tartak St., Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
- OEAP Meeting - March 30, 2017
For more information please contact the CFMC Headquarters.
- SSC Meeting- SSC will meet on July 10-14, 2017, at the CFMC Headquarters, 270 Muñoz Rivera Avenue, Suite 401, San Juan, PR
- On Apr 19, 2017, at 9:11 AM, Geno Olmi - NOAA Federal
From NOAA Press Release:
NOAA hurricane specialists, including National Hurricane Center director Rick Knabb, Ph.D., will provide information to residents of vulnerable communities about hurricane preparedness and resilience. Tours of the Air Force Reserve Command’s WC-130J “Hurricane Hunter” will offer an opportunity to learn how scientists collect hurricane information.
“Several Caribbean countries were severely damaged last year by Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Otto,” Knabb said. “Another season is just weeks away and we have to be prepared. Simply hoping one of these storms won't hit your community is not a good plan.”
Locations, all local airports, and local times for public tours are:
April 24, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Merida, Mexico
April 25, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – San Pedro Sula, Honduras
April 26, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Grand Cayman
April 27, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Turks and Caicos
April 29, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
During hurricanes, military air crews fly state-of-the-art WC-130J aircraft directly into the core of tropical cyclones to gather data that are critical for forecasting a hurricane’s intensity and landfall. The data are sent in real time via satellite from the aircraft directly to the National Hurricane Center for analysis and use by hurricane forecasters.
"This data is vital in improving storm track models, which plays a critical role in alerting coastal residents about potential hazards,” said Lt. Col. Kaitlyn Woods, 53rd WRS chief meteorologist.
"The Caribbean Hurricane Awareness Tour educates the public not only about our mission but also of the importance of being prepared."
During the 2016 hurricane season, the 53rd WRS flew 75 missions, including 12 investigative flights over the Atlantic, for the National Hurricane Center. It also flew one mission over the eastern North Pacific and 14 over the central North Pacific. The eastern North Pacific hurricane season begins May 15 while the central North Pacific and Atlantic basin hurricane season begins June 1.
Aside from Knabb, also participating in the tour will be Lixion Avila, Ph.D., NOAA NHC senior hurricane specialist; and U.S Air Force reservists from the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron (WRS), 403rd Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Miss.
Eugene (Geno) Olmi, PhD
Coordinator, NOAA Southeast and Caribbean Regional Team (SECART)
NOAA, 2234 South Hobson Ave, Charleston, SC 29405-2413
- 159th CFMC Regular Meeting - April 18 -19, 2017 - at the 159th CFMC Regular Meeting, Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, St Croix.